This record store in Chicago has a ‘do not buy’ list of albums to avoid at all costs. What would make yours? Let us know on NME.COM.
I don’t actually disagree with this list from a musical perspective, but I would like to point out that there’s a pretty disproportionate number of lady singers being singled out here. Be more subtle, record store dudes.
Also: what year is this? Somebody is very bitter about the 90’s, lol.
And although it could be nothing, that doesn’t mean I’m not side-eyeing the fuck out of k.d. lang and Melissa Etheridge being highlighted.
On the one hand, I’m guessing the context of this isn’t so much a music-snob jerkoff jamboree as it is the fact that used record stores tend to get a lot of the same artists/titles that they eventually get overloaded with and subsequently have a hard time selling because it’s both omnipresent and out-of-favor. (The mid-late ’90s had a sort of Unholy Trinity: Monster, Dookie and Cracked Rear View.) The prevalence of ’90s artists says a lot in that context — aging X’ers/Y’ers who tend to move a lot, need extra spending money and/or tend to go digital more readily have to constitute the vast majority of this glut, and when supply outweighs demand this sort of rule set tends to be handy. If this was posted in a used LP store in 1982 you’d best believe Herb Alpert and Vaughn Meader would be all over this.
That said, who gets to define “2nd tier hip-hop” or “anything Pitchforky”? Why the aforementioned suspicious highlighter usage? How are the Eagles on there twice? (I know it is every music snob’s sworn duty to hate the Eagles, but seriously.) And if you’re so inundated with Boz Scaggs and Macy Gray CDs, wouldn’t you have learned how to spell their names by now?
140 Notes/ Hide
- tonightdinnerisyou likes this
- halvingthetimeofmylife reblogged this from texasshaped
- hpolleyphotography likes this
- vaquerovaquero reblogged this from nmemagazine
- kdawgmusic reblogged this from nmemagazine
- skullsinheaven reblogged this from nmemagazine
- theasphaltworld likes this
- keepupwiththemodernage reblogged this from nmemagazine
- musicissound reblogged this from nmemagazine
- sharkpandaattack likes this
- lastdayofmagic reblogged this from nmemagazine and added:
- letsgotobread likes this
- bubblybobbles likes this
- jsuiscarlos reblogged this from nmemagazine
- sarasyp reblogged this from nmemagazine
- imathers said: Students. Poor people. Old people. Hipsters. Etc. At least when I worked in one a few years ago (when I drop by the store it doesn’t appear to have changed).
- imathers likes this
- whenanimalsgetstuck likes this
- razkall likes this
- indievamps likes this
- prettygirlfromneworleans likes this
- allerleirauhhh reblogged this from nmemagazine
- greengang likes this
- lewilliamnorth likes this
- liveontheusdollar reblogged this from nmemagazine
- reverendandroid likes this
- cavesofaltamira reblogged this from kittensandscience and added:
- wronglikeright likes this
- w00denlegs likes this
- vampirewhackend reblogged this from nmemagazine
- the20000 likes this
- kittensandscience reblogged this from hawtistic and added:
- futura-extra-bold-condensed likes this
- davebloom reblogged this from everygreatsongever and added:
- thedustatdawn likes this
- printedinternet likes this
- maggiebruk reblogged this from nmemagazine
- calvinclimax likes this
- everygreatsongever reblogged this from markrichardson and added:
- lunartictrip likes this
- everygreatsongever likes this
- losho likes this
- but-an-illusion likes this
- gnomeskull reblogged this from rubyvroom and added:
- rubyvroom reblogged this from leorizanzel and added:
- bunny--bubbles reblogged this from 420elijahwood
- bunny--bubbles likes this
- rubyvroom likes this
- sunburnedandsoulless reblogged this from 420elijahwood
- normandiewilson reblogged this from rubyvroom and added: